Thursday 1 August 2019

Four human followers of chaos

So I did manage to finish these in time for BOYL... now I have just one champion to complete and I'm ready!

Comparing the Slaves to Darkness and Lost and the Damned followers tables is interesting. For humans the former gives the option of light or heavy armour, a spear or a bow, and a shield. The latter table is "slightly different ... and better reflects the current range of Citadel Miniatures" or, to put another way, better reflects our setting.

Previously when I've generated human followers I've gone with the heavy armour option so I could use my chaos warrior miniatures. I wanted instead to get some bow-armed figures painted to give me more tactical options, as running a very small warband can be a bit dull.


The only humans I have with shields and bows are Khan on the right from the C01 Barbarians range, and a chaos thug which I didn't want to use as he has a near-identical posture. They're a bit of a mixed bag but I think that's fair enough for the collection of followers who might end up in a champion's retinue: the Marauder thug is clearly headed down that path while the two Renaissance archers are probably more recent converts from one of the backgrounds that the Lost and the Damned table provides - brigands or unemployed mercenaries perhaps.

They're very different sizes - the classic Citadel / Marauder figures being much bulker and the Front Rank archer (third from left) noticably skinnier as well as slightly taller. The Foundry (ex-Citadel) archer on the left is really quite tiny, after I first bought these my feeling was that actually they were too small to use but I'm coming around to the odd sizes being natural human variation. He's been modified with a dark ages warrior head to make the historical figures look less orderly, of all of them I think I'm happiest with how he's come out.

Now to try and finish my spare champion...

No comments:

Post a Comment