Wednesday 10 October 2018

Mordheim, in the springtime

Back in April (I said my next post would be late!) I got to try out this new-fangled Mordheim game that people seem to be talking about these days.

The attraction is obvious - I got to field a warband with just these guys:


And I must have enjoyed myself, as I only remembered to take one picture:

The carnival comes to town

But overall I think the game isn't quite for me.

The real sticking point in my mind is that the metagame just doesn't make sense. It's the same issue as with a Frostgrave campaign, or trying to play a linked series of Realm of Chaos games - it's suspension of disbelief-breaking that these warbands (or a subset from a small sample of warbands) keep on bumping into one another and fighting for the same old reasons. I mean, say they were really exploring and battling over one small-ish area, then surely the bigger, tougher warbands would just go around to the weaker warbands' bases, wipe them out and steal their stuff, and then go back to looting the city?

I'm over-simplifying a little of course, but this gives the idea of what's going on in the back of my mind while trying to get into the campaign.

In a similar vein, the wilderness supplement looked interesting at first, but the scenarios seem a bit off - to me they came across as something you might present to an old-school D&D group (with a full set of henchmen and bag-carriers) rather than a warband out to make their mark on the world.

So, much as I love not having to paint many figures, the game's a bit too small-scale for me.

A few things also bothered me about the rules themselves, which probably not surprisingly I viewed through a WFB lens.

One being the comparative weakness of armour: no different from WFB at its basics, but the relatively larger number of modifiers (from critical hits, to a character's strength, and from "normal" weapons such as axes) means that often it's negated.

The other being the lack of penalties for fighting with two weapons, meaning it's foolish not to go for the extra attack (although I did out of stubbornness). It ought to be something that only a "manic warrior" would do (to quote from the rulebook), and given that these are treasure hunters (who ought to value their hide) you'd think armour would be valued above hitting power. Given that the game world is vaguely early 16th century shields may well be going out of fashion, but to be replaced by body armour along with a long and pointy weapon, or expensive but extremely effective plate, not with a whole bunch of people taking the manic warrior route. But from a warband selection perspective two weapons is instead the "correct" choice.

Still, I will be back - the chance to roll some dice while pushing (a small number of) figures around the table calls for that. But I'll be pining for something larger-scale...

No comments:

Post a Comment